Transmission Service - problems fixed.

HaroldD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was having an erratic 1-2 shift, felt like tranny was slipping under heavy load in 1st and 2nd, and sometimes would miss (delay) a full throttle 1-2 and 2-3 shift.

I was fearing the worst and researching aftermarket transmission options, but given the state of the economy, figured I'd give it a go fixing it.

So, I did a complete fluid exchange with my new (to me) T-Tech machine, changed filters, front and rear band adjustment, replaced governer pressure solenoid and transducer (got them from electricaladvantage.net), and adjusted the TV cable.

Wow - back to it's old self again! Very happy that I didn't have to spend $6k to replace it... yet.

This is on my 2005 QC with 35k miles on it. 3rd transmission service with band adjustment (by dealers) on two prior ones - figured I'd do it this time since warranty is gone.

So, I'd say it's worth the effort to keep up with the band adjustments and solenoid replacements. I took the shotgun approach and did it all at once while the pan was off so I can't say which fixed it. That said, I'll replace both solenoid and transducer every time just in case. Cheap enough.

Good save ;),I've been told that the solinoids crap out because the lining off the bands effect them ,then causes them to act up,also another reassurance effort would be to change the checkvalve up by the cooler,they get stuff in them too and slow down and sometimes plug off causeing very poor or no circulation of tranny fluid causing the fluid not being able to cool down if restricted then failure.

It seems the governor solenoid and pressure sensor need to be replaced on a regular basis. Anybody have any suggestions on how often they should be replaced? For the two of them it is about $100, not very expensive to keep the trans shifting right. Of course band adjustments as well. I am in the process of having my trans upgraded with some goodies and have been doing a lot of reading and the above seems to be the main culprit with crappy shifting with these transmissions and needs to be kept on top of to keep them right.

Thoughts????

We should try to put together a to do list on servicing the 48RE to keep them healthy.
Example:
Change governor pressure solenoid (How many miles for each of these is the question?)
Change Governor pressure sensure
Adjust front and rear bands
Change Fluid and filter

Last edited:

Men, I spent a lot of time on the phone with the man at HTS Trans.

This guy explained our trans in great detail from front to back and what the problem is.

I don't remember now what it was because i'm just going to get one of his trans when the time comes.

But Y'all should go check out his site at least. He also has every part you may need.

supercar1of1 said:

This guy explained our trans in great detail from front to back and what the problem is.

I don't remember now what it was because i'm just going to get one of his trans when the time comes.

But Y'all should go check out his site at least. He also has every part you may need.

Yeah, I spoke to Dusty too form HTS. That is who I got the parts from. He feels the valve body, accumulator, band, and lever are a major weakness in the trans. For higher horse applications he recommends upgraded clutches. I know others have different thoughts on this so it is what is. The debate goes on.

I like your hood by the way...

I was preparing (even planted the seed with my wife that I'd be spending some $$$$) to buy a built transmission. But, after my work, it's as good as new. I'm not pretending that it will last forever, but it appears to have postponed the need for a replacement. :)

My last dealer service was 14k mi ago and things started getting noticably "off" I'd say about 2k miles ago, so I'm reducing my interval to 10k mi and will repeat what I did here.

SlvrSnake said:
It seems the governor solenoid and pressure sensor need to be replaced on a regular basis. Anybody have any suggestions on how often they should be replaced? For the two of them it is about $100, not very expensive to keep the trans shifting right. Of course band adjustments as well. I am in the process of having my trans upgraded with some goodies and have been doing a lot of reading and the above seems to be the main culprit with crappy shifting with these transmissions and needs to be kept on top of to keep them right.

Thoughts????

We should try to put together a to do list on servicing the 48RE to keep them healthy.
Example:
Change governor pressure solenoid (How many miles for each of these is the question?)
Change Governor pressure sensure
Adjust front and rear bands
Change Fluid and filter

SlvrSnake said:
Yeah, I spoke to Dusty too form HTS. That is who I got the parts from. He feels the valve body, accumulator, band, and lever are a major weakness in the trans. For higher horse applications he recommends upgraded clutches. I know others have different thoughts on this so it is what is. The debate goes on.

I like your hood by the way...

Mechanical issues are the symptoms of a cause. The best way to correct a symptom is to identify the cause, or variable, before any corrective action is performed. However that requires a full understanding of each components function.
Case in point;

A friend of mine called me and was furious because his truck that he only uses to tow his boat overheated. He just thought the thermostat was stuck from sitting. He drained, flushed, installed new coolant and thermostat to no avail, because he didnt know how to check for a bad thermostat first.

Next he installed a new water pump to no avail. He didnt know how to check the water pump.

Anyway I made a list of all reasonable variables and how to check their function.

It turned out some type bird had built a nest between the ac condensor and radiator blocking most of the air flow.

The above happens all to often at repair shops.

The thing that impressed me about 'Dusty' is that with each symptom there are only so many variables involved and he seemed to know them all.

If none of the above makes sense it is a symptom of the variable of me being half asleep:eek: :D :D

PS: Thanks for the compliment on the hood, we are very happy with them:) .

supercar1of1 said:

Can you send me the webpage site please John?

Last edited:
Yellow venom said:
Thanks Ken,I searched that and nothing popped up,The motor build is coming along,block,crank,piston,rods and heads are are at the engine builders getting measured and will go from there to what all else it needs:rock:

Something is wrong with your PC or something, HTS pops up instantly when I click on it.

http://htstransmissions.com/

i brought the truck to the local tranny shop to have it serviced. I didnt have any problems with it besides the "normal" 1-2-1-2 shift at light throttle. The gentleman called me back shortly after he dropped the pan and the tranny filter had a bunch of metal shaving on it. He told me i needed a billet torque converter. anybody else experience something similar to this? torque conv ideas. I plan on staying n/a with a few bolt ons.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back