Replaced TPS

wesalbert

2015 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I finally replaced the TPS sensor. I have been needing to do it for about 2 years. I had the typical RPM hang at idle.
I went for a drive on 95, about a 30 mile trip that I have done many times before.
Noticed 2 things right off the bat.

1. Truck seems faster than it was before.
2. Gas mileage went from the ususal 12-13 hwy up to 18 hwy

Could the old TPS been that messed up? :dontknow: Could this have been the reason for lower dyno numbers?

dam sure looks like it:rock::rock::rock:

there has been many times where a sensor would be "bad" & not though a code.

No codes, just when the truck would get warm the idle would hang a bit above 2k. Like when you pulled up to a red light. It would eventually come down, or I could "blip" the throttle and it would drop.

hey mine does the throttle drop thing as well...not all the time but it goes down and kinda acts like it wants to die....only does it every now and then....where did you get one from and how much?

I picked it up at Advanced Auto Parts for like $20-$30. I was there getting some soap and asked the guy. They actually had it in stock.
Mine wasn't a low idle, it was high.... really high at times. Been as high as almost 3k.

ahh ok i will be coming to a stop and when i go to take back off the truck will sound like its going to die and most of the time ill have to turn off and turn back on my truck! Doesn't do it often so i just ignore it!

427hp/467torque
Dynojet dyno

Going to ditch the X-Metal TB and go with a stock ported one. Replace the plug wires and plugs (maybe coils since I will be in there) and go run it again.

Last edited:
What kind of mods do you have?

I have an intake, X-metal TB, B&B high flow cats and B&B cat back. And dyno tune by Torrie.

CAI, Mopar longtubes, cat-less mids, magnaflow & Torie tune. It makes a lot of noise, but not a lot of power.

Interesting. Ours were probably built on a Monday :D

One thing to check is if you have a boroscope or know of someone that has pull a couple of plugs and see if you can see a crosshatch you should not. My rings neverseated to the block and caused my low numbers. I was told because of improper break in procedure and synthetic oil. I bout mine with 7k on it.

One thing to check is if you have a boroscope or know of someone that has pull a couple of plugs and see if you can see a crosshatch you should not. My rings neverseated to the block and caused my low numbers. I was told because of improper break in procedure and synthetic oil. I bout mine with 7k on it.

I will look into it when I do the plugs.

No codes, just when the truck would get warm the idle would hang a bit above 2k. Like when you pulled up to a red light. It would eventually come down, or I could "blip" the throttle and it would drop.

Dude my truck does the same thing almost to a tee, I thought it was the roe TB.

I'm going to pick one of these up and try it then, thanks for the info, It's least worth me too try :)

Dude my truck does the same thing almost to a tee, I thought it was the roe TB.

I'm going to pick one of these up and try it then, thanks for the info, It's least worth me too try :)

I've been having the same problem. But it didnt start until after the ported TB, so I just thought it was that, and normal. I only pulled 367 at the dyno. The TPS CAN"T be robbing me of that power. Right?? :confused: Have to break out the boroscope.

I've been having the same problem. But it didnt start until after the ported TB, so I just thought it was that, and normal. I only pulled 367 at the dyno. The TPS CAN"T be robbing me of that power. Right?? :confused: Have to break out the boroscope.

Sweet, i'm not the lowest powered SRT10 :p
I took the truck out again last night. Still no idle hangups like before, and I swear the truck seems faster.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back