My Rim/Drag Slick combo I will be testing this week at the track...Pics!!

Rice Eater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I went down to my local tire shop and bought two 17" rims off a stock RAM 1500 for $50 each. He mounted up my ol' MT ET streets on them. I went home...jacked her up and busted out the air wrench. Test fitted the rims on there, bolted them down and spun the wheel loooking close for any rubbing on the calipers since a few of you have said some gringing is necessarry with 17's. Well with these particular rims NO GRINDING IS NECESSARY! I put the other one an and headed to an empty parking lot to test them out. Its fun to have a set of tires you can smoke and not worry about burning off the tread!

After a good warm up the tires hooked very well on black top dumping the clutch at 3,000 RPMs....a little wheel spin but nothing like the stockers. So I know they hook up better....the question now is will I run out of gear...they are approximately 4'' shorter than the scorps. I will probably run either tomorrow night or Friday night and will post results. I hope that I don't run out of gear but am right near red line in 4th at the trap because then I will have addressed traction off the line and lower gears with only 2 $50 rims and some old drag slicks I had laying around! I have a hunch that I"ll be ok because I had these on my old Magnum and they were 2'' shorter than my stockers and I really didn't notice that much of a change in MPH and RPM's at the traps. Keep your fingers crossed 4me. Here is the link to some pics...couldn't upload them from photobucket for some reason??

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/Surfer27/SRT 10/

Your a genious rice! You found a rim which is a dime a dozen that fits! Now I just need to see if it fits on a 05 rear :p

BRO YOU ARE THE MAN .. ill be lookin for a pair for mine soon as i get a couple bux for a set of slicks

Rice Eater said:
Well I went down to my local tire shop and bought two 17" rims off a stock RAM 1500 for $50 each. He mounted up my ol' MT ET streets on them. I went home...jacked her up and busted out the air wrench. Test fitted the rims on there, bolted them down and spun the wheel loooking close for any rubbing on the calipers since a few of you have said some gringing is necessarry with 17's. Well with these particular rims NO GRINDING IS NECESSARY! I put the other one an and headed to an empty parking lot to test them out. Its fun to have a set of tires you can smoke and not worry about burning off the tread!

After a good warm up the tires hooked very well on black top dumping the clutch at 3,000 RPMs....a little wheel spin but nothing like the stockers. So I know they hook up better....the question now is will I run out of gear...they are approximately 4'' shorter than the scorps. I will probably run either tomorrow night or Friday night and will post results. I hope that I don't run out of gear but am right near red line in 4th at the trap because then I will have addressed traction off the line and lower gears with only 2 $50 rims and some old drag slicks I had laying around! I have a hunch that I"ll be ok because I had these on my old Magnum and they were 2'' shorter than my stockers and I really didn't notice that much of a change in MPH and RPM's at the traps. Keep your fingers crossed 4me. Here is the link to some pics...couldn't upload them from photobucket for some reason??

sounds great bro!!! By the way, what psi did you have the slicks at?

Inquiring minds want to know. What manufacturer, size, width, girth, whatever are these seemingly gems of wheels? I may have to keep the truck if this works out.

RedSrt007 said:
who makes a 17" slick...not a drag radial, but a slick?

-Red

they are Mickey Thompson's E/T streets......

they are a DOT cheater slick....= every bit as sticky as a slick but with...almost invisible lines for tread.....

Rice Eater said:

Have fun Bro....get us some pics of the warm up at the track....

The one thing I'm wondering, is that wheel is a chrome-clad steel wheel (not a forged aluminum / etc..), do you think there might be a problem with the close tolerance to the caliper+slicks+steel wheel?

Is the steel wheel strong enough for that kind of torque without any problems?:confused: :dontknow:

what do you think....?

-Red

RedSrt007 said:
The one thing I'm wondering, is that wheel is a chrome-clad steel wheel (not a forged aluminum / etc..), do you think there might be a problem with the close tolerance to the caliper+slicks+steel wheel?

Is the steel wheel strong enough for that kind of torque without any problems?:confused: :dontknow:

what do you think....?

-Red

The steel wheel will be just fine...the problem is going to be the 26" diameter....with a modded truck...there won't be enough contact patch....

But for the $100 investment we will find out for sure soon enough...I hope Riceeater pulls a 1.6 60' and blows the competition away......

Last edited:
Please post pics of the rim and tire combo...

RedSrt007 said:

what do you think....?

-Red

Will the big bad Viper motor tear the wimpy wheel from the lugs???:dontknow:

Good question Red!

patrick

Venomous....the shop I got them from has 2 more...let me know if you want me to grab them for you and I can bring them up to Morosso and we can meet up.

Ferrari....I had them at 30 psi just for testing in the pkg lot....I'll start dropping the psi based on how well it isn't hooking up at the track...anyone know how low of psi I can run the ET Streets at?? They are tubeless.

Dave...I was told these wheels came off of a stock RAM 1500. They are 17''X approx 8.5" wide. Yes they are steel and heavy...but nothing like the weight of the stockers!

Red SRT....Nowwhat is right...MT ET Streets are basically a cheater slick. The tread is very minute...if you go to mickey T's website you can see more close up pics of the tread. MT only makes one size 17'' in their ET street line. I don't know how strong the steel is versus aluminum but I guess I'll find out! I checked the caliper for any scrape marks from the wheel after testing and there are none but the fit is very very close to the back side of the caliper.

Nowwhat...thanks for the wishful thinking! If I can get 2.0 or 1.9 60's I'll be stoked!!

Maui...I'll keep an eye on the condition of the holes in the wheels where the lugs go through to check for any damage where the lugs may be digging into the steel and making the holes bigger or odd shaped.

I still may go up tonight...if not it will be Friday.

Rice E----

you won't need to go lower than 16 psi or so.....

at that psi you wont need to screw the tire into the rim.....

well no more than some will see the track it should work good, just find a taller tire, and if needed its not that expensive to have the steels widened if needed.

Stinker said:
well no more than some will see the track it should work good, just find a taller tire, and if needed its not that expensive to have the steels widened if needed.

Sooooo your advice is to find a different tire and a different rim...that is very helpful......:D

We will have a no shit answer in a couple of days when Rice E goes to the track....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back