2005 - Front caliper torque specs and different piston size?

2005ViperRam

Reaction score
I am rebuilding most of the front end on my QC truck.
After read and watching video's on how to rebuild the front calipers I decided to give it a try.
I had a spare set of calipers that I split in two, and took them sandblaster and powder coater, and they came
out great. I will post picture soon so you can see.

I have a couple questions:
1. Where or what are the torque specs for the five (see picture #3 and #7) allen head bolts?
I looked everywhere in the service manual and it never says, however it does point to these allen head
bolts. I searched Youtube to see if anyone had the answer, but no one says what it is.

2 - I ordered the caliper pistons and seals. Why does the manual say there is two different sizes? The kit
I got were all in original Mopar boxes and they all have the same part numbers for both piston and seals.
Anyone know?

Torque specs:
- Brake line to caliper: 20 ft lb - page 5-243
- Mounting bolts 24 ft lbs - page 5-243
- Dual brake half tube - 145 in lbs (12 ft lbs) - page 5-242
- Five bolts holding the two half calipers together - Unknown - Unknown

Attachments

• Brake piston - Two sizes.png
    Brake piston - Two sizes.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 5 Bolts.png
    5 Bolts.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 9
I am rebuilding most of the front end on my QC truck.
After read and watching video's on how to rebuild the front calipers I decided to give it a try.
I had a spare set of calipers that I split in two, and took them sandblaster and powder coater, and they came
out great. I will post picture soon so you can see.

I have a couple questions:
1. Where or what are the torque specs for the five (see picture #3 and #7) allen head bolts?
I looked everywhere in the service manual and it never says, however it does point to these allen head
bolts. I searched Youtube to see if anyone had the answer, but no one says what it is.

2 - I ordered the caliper pistons and seals. Why does the manual say there is two different sizes? The kit
I got were all in original Mopar boxes and they all have the same part numbers for both piston and seals.
Anyone know?

Torque specs:
- Brake line to caliper: 20 ft lb - page 5-243
- Mounting bolts 24 ft lbs - page 5-243
- Dual brake half tube - 145 in lbs (12 ft lbs) - page 5-242
- Five bolts holding the two half calipers together - Unknown - Unknown
Found this on here .. Kevin was known for great DIY’s in the past ..
that. I believe this should cover the center bolt #7 ..

Tips:
- The "Disc Brake Pad Hold Down Center Bolt" (the bolt you remove to change out the pads) requires a 12mm hex socket to remove/install.
- The bolt should be tightened to 85 ft.lbs. according to the manual. If you don't have a torque wrench, buy one. If you're too cheap, BEFORE YOU REMOVE THE BOLT!!!!! use a Sharpie and put a line from the center of the botom of the bolt all the way onto the caliper itself (you can see the bottom of the bolt as it comes all the way thru the caliper). This will tell you when you're at or really close to 85 ft.lbs. The ink can be removed after you're finished with a swipe of rubbing alcohol

Found this on SRT FORUM BUT APPEARS TO BE FOR THE SRT-4 .. Maybe they are the same or close on some specs ???

BRAKE FASTENER TORQUE
ABS ICU Mounting Bolts (To Bracket) 11 Nm (8 ft. lbs., 97 inch lbs.)
ABS ICU Mounting Bracket Bolts (To Frame) 23 Nm (17 ft. lbs., 200 inch lbs.)
ABS CAB Mounting Screws (To HCU) 2 Nm (17 inch lbs.)
ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Mounting Screw 12 Nm (9 ft. lbs., 105 inch lbs.)
Brake Hose Banjo Bolt (To Caliper) 24 Nm (18 ft. lbs., 210 inch lbs.)
Brake Tube Nuts 17 Nm (12 ft. lbs., 145 inch lbs.)
Disc Brake Caliper Adapter (To Knuckle) - Front - SRT-4 104 Nm (77 ft. lbs.)
Disc Brake Caliper Adapter (To Knuckle) - Rear 75 Nm (55 ft. lbs.)
Disc Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolts 22 Nm (16 ft. lbs., 192 inch lbs.)
Disc Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolts - Front - SRT-4 35 Nm (26 ft. lbs.)
Disc Brake Caliper Bleeder Screw 15 Nm (11 ft. lbs., 125 inch lbs.)
Drum Brake Shoe Support Plate Mounting Bolts 75 Nm (55 ft. lbs.)
Drum Brake Wheel Cylinder Mounting Bolts 13 Nm (10 ft. lbs., 115 inch lbs.)
Drum Brake Wheel Cylinder Bleeder Screw 10 Nm (7 ft. lbs., 89 inch lbs.)
Master Cylinder Mounting Nuts 18 Nm (13 ft. lbs., 160 inch lbs.)
Parking Brake Lever Mounting Nut And Screw 28 Nm (21 ft. lbs., 250 inch lbs.)
Power Brake Booster Mounting Nuts 34 Nm (25 ft. lbs., 300 inch lbs.)
Wheel Mounting (Lug) Nuts 135 Nm (100 ft. lbs.)

- The bolt should be tightened to 85 ft.lbs. according to the manual.
How the heck did you find that info? I search and searched this forum for info about the torque and never found anything related to it. What keyword did you search for so I can see where I was missing up?

I’m now going to do a keyword search in the service manual on “85” just to see where that is too. That manual is over 8500 pages long, so I totally understand how I can miss it. It’s just a weird torque that I think most people would miss.

It ticks me off because I watched one video that actually said the easy way to replace brake pads is to remove that center pin. Since I’m putting the new powder coated calipers on, I decided to try it the ones currently on the truck which will also get powder coated. I removed that pin, the used my pad spreader to get a gap. The pads did not come out. Come to find out the pad metal alert was hold it in. By me trying to remove the pads I broke the piston. Not that it really matters since I’m putting new pistons in anyways. I’m just wondering if the pads truly come out.

The only spec I seemed to have found searching links is the #7 bolt torque spec ..

How the heck did you find that info? I search and searched this forum for info about the torque and never found anything related to it. What keyword did you search for so I can see where I was missing up?

I’m now going to do a keyword search in the service manual on “85” just to see where that is too. That manual is over 8500 pages long, so I totally understand how I can miss it. It’s just a weird torque that I think most people would miss.

It ticks me off because I watched one video that actually said the easy way to replace brake pads is to remove that center pin. Since I’m putting the new powder coated calipers on, I decided to try it the ones currently on the truck which will also get powder coated. I removed that pin, the used my pad spreader to get a gap. The pads did not come out. Come to find out the pad metal alert was hold it in. By me trying to remove the pads I broke the piston. Not that it really matters since I’m putting new pistons in anyways. I’m just wondering if the pads truly come out.
Never had a problem removing the pads ..they came right out . The pistons can be tough to push in all the way which I had to use a leverage bar on a tie Rod fork to compress the pistons all the way in .. never try it without the old pads still in place or it will break the pistons ..

Possible lookimg for the specs for a Viper would help

KEVAN made superb DIY threads!

Great find on the topic - should be very helpful!

It turned on the TV and found a car show .. they were doing painting .. they had a mustang that the hood badge was removed and showed what to use to get rid of the impression in the hood where it was ..
they cleaned it , mixed 2 part epoxy the a flexible body filler and sanded it smooth .. when the got done you would never have suspected there was every a badge impression on the hood ..

It turned on the TV and found a car show .. they were doing painting .. they had a mustang that the hood badge was removed and showed what to use to get rid of the impression in the hood where it was ..
they cleaned it , mixed 2 part epoxy the a flexible body filler and sanded it smooth .. when the got done you would never have suspected there was every a badge impression on the hood ..
Then maybe you can use a fang logo

It to bad a lot f the old timers disappeared ..
It is. This was a great group of folks and combined knowledge - i see some log on but never post. It's to bad

I don't do faceplant but maybe they are still over there. I couldn't believe they went over to that platform. I remember back in 2004 Kilani sent me a message about Facebook - I'm like what the hell-o is that??!? Hahahaha

I should have bought stock! Hahahaha

I don't do faceplant but maybe they are still over there. I couldn't believe they went over to that platform. I remember back in 2004 Kilani sent me a message about Facebook - I'm like what the hell-o is that??!? Hahahaha
Info grabber BS.. the dweeb CEO needs to get his payback for stealing the platform from his buddies and interfering with the election ..

Yeah I’ve seen a few

I did lol .. and probably not to late now

Are the pistons two sizes or one?

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back