Calipers - why is my truck such a “Gold Digger”?

2005ViperRam

Reaction score
When rebuilding your front calipers, would you reuse your pistons? If not, why not?
The reason I ask is Mopar 05143399aa are about $30 each, as long as you don’t go to the dealer. When you need 8 for two calipers that add to a bunch of money!

It seem like if they are not cracked, they would be good to go. I understand the rubber seal and ring needs to be replaced, but that hard ceramic piston doesn’t seem like it would go bad. Just curious what others have to say.

Luckily, the seals and rings are very cheap. Just use Dorman D352885.

I must say, putting on those new seals is like being uncircumcised. After you put it in the slit, you need to roll the foreskin back to make sure you’re fitting inside the slit opening
properly.

My truck is so sexual!

Last edited:
I had to cut and destroy a few of those to get them out. As long as it is intact and there isn't anything on it to damage a seal or get it cocked in the bore it's fine. This was such a problem that for a number of years JTVSP (I think it was them anyway) offered metal piston replacements.

The simple adage “ IF IT AIN’t broke , DON’FIX IT “ applies IMO !

There was a guy on here that posted or started a thread years ago about getting steel pistons .. Steal pistons were not made for the trucks . He stated that if you wanted to go that route you would need to search and compare steal pistons from other calipers and match them up . He never replied back on what pistons could be used . My impression was he was trying to sell them himself and would not specify or state the pistons that would work .

JTVSP sold/sells the Mopar piston sets and seals rebuild kits ( which I bought and still have unused lol . As far as I know he never had any steel piston kits !
Call Tony @JTVSP and he can answer that question he’s top notch to talk to and deal with and can probably track down most anything you need , Plus !

When rebuilding your front calipers, would you reuse your pistons? If not, why not?
The reason I ask is Mopar 05143399aa are about $30 each, as long as you don’t go
to the dealer. When you need 8 for two calipers that add to a bunch of money!

It seem like if they are not cracked, they would be good to go. I understand the rubber
seal and ring needs to be replaced, but that hard ceramic piston doesn’t seem like it would
go bad. Just curious what others have to say.

Luckily, the seals and rings are very cheap. Just use Dorman D352885.

I must say, putting on those new seals is like being uncircumcised. After you put it in
the slit, you need to roll the foreskin back to make sure you’re fitting inside the slit opening
properly.

My truck is so sexual!
Make sure you lube it before putting them in with Mopar Dot4 lol

I had to cut and destroy a few of those to get them out. As long as it is intact and there isn't anything on it to damage a seal or get it cocked in the bore it's fine. This was such a problem that for a number of years JTVSP (I think it was them anyway) offered metal piston replacements.
Terminator avi I like ! At first I thought it was Skeletor or both all in one lol

Well added CRWD .. BUY OP ISNT GETTING AWAY FROM ME LOL . FILLED !
TSLA still waiting to fill ..,seems to have leveled off now .

RYLD as usual holding its own .. it needs to come down a little and I’ll ad a few more on my secondary account …

The buy ops are massive right now .. I’m not going to miss them !

It’s weird that because the market drops they run scared when it is nothing but buy ops ….

It’s weird that because the market drops they run scared when it is nothing but buy ops ….
If you can afford to hold while they're down they are definitely buy ops but for some they can't chance that. And the treasuries are solid over 5% and CDs everywhere, and high yield offers. That's my take.

My elderly friend lost gobs of his money decades ago when the recession hit and unfortunately he was never able to recover it. Had her been younger or wealthier it may not have hurt him so bad but he had to take what came.

So I see both sides! I definitely think stocks can make one wealthy over time if you have time on your side

Once the rates go back down then i suppose it will be different?

The other thing I noticed is that majority of people are CLUELESS as to how the market even works. Thanks to this thread -which sounds strange - I've learned more than i would have ever learned! And to just trust your money with the jokers that claim to give a chit is stupid!

Knowledge is power and to just buy in and think you know what's going on is reckless. The key to wealth is to start young, learn everything you possibly can about debt and money, and the crap that goes with it - make a plan like you've said and stay with it. Also learn when to hold and when to fold -

I'm thankful for this thread and going all the way back to when Prof started the original one in 2007. Best information you can get is hidden in here!!

My son was trained to be a network hacker breaking into networks. He finally returned to the US and had to convert from the red team (attack) to the blue team (defense) due to Federal laws.

He called me immediately and told me to watch CRWD stock. I haven’t bought it yet, but I will.

My son was trained to be a network hacker breaking into networks. He finally returned to the US and had to convert from the red team (attack) to the blue team (defense) due to Federal laws.

He called me immediately and told me to watch CRWD stock. I haven’t bought it yet, but I will.
Lots going on out there!

If you can afford to hold while they're down they are definitely buy ops but for some they can't chance that. And the treasuries are solid over 5% and CDs everywhere, and high yield offers. That's my take.

My elderly friend lost gobs of his money decades ago when the recession hit and unfortunately he was never able to recover it. Had her been younger or wealthier it may not have hurt him so bad but he had to take what came.

So I see both sides! I definitely think stocks can make one wealthy over time if you have time on your side

Once the rates go back down then i suppose it will be different?
You only loose when you sell ..
The rates on CD’s stink and lock your money up ..if you cash out a CD before the term you loose on penalties .
Interest rates will drop and then the assets become less .. tying up your more for terms mean not liquid .

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back