Trivia - Moog Upper Control Arms (UCA) - Why is there a "Mount Inward" on dust boot?

2005ViperRam

Reaction score
Hey all,
I know there has to be other newbies like me out there so I will post this Trivia I just found out.

I am replacing my Upper Control Arms with Moog CK7424, sometimes called K7424, arms that include the dust boot. For some reason Moog doesn't put the dust boot on, so you have to go through that hassle yourself. It is a bitch!

The dust boot has a "Mount Inward" on the rubber, and I just didn't understand what was the reason. I search the internet, along with Moog technical information but no one ever says why. Being an engineer with OCD, I had to know why. Do you know?

The reason is they have a drip edge on the rubber that allows the excess grease from going onto your brakes. It drips inward, away from the brakes. I thought that was kind-of cool to know.

Anyways, I am posting Moogs instation procedure for the dust boots. After spending a couple hours doing it their way, I decided to figure something better. The thing I found is if you buy a 1 1/2 inch plastic PVC coupler, that works perfectly around the ring of the boot. Kind-of smouch it down most of the way, then on the last section that still is not setting flat, then use channel locks. It gets in there way easier.

Attached are a couple pictures.

Attachments

• Upper Control Arms - 2.jpg
    Upper Control Arms - 2.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Upper Control Arms - 1.jpg
    Upper Control Arms - 1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Moog - Control arm boot - how-to-install-dust-boot-tech-tip.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 5
Hey all,
I know there has to be other newbies like me out there so I will post this Trivia I just found out.

I am replacing my Upper Control Arms with Moog CK7424, sometimes called K7424, arms that include the dust boot. For some reason Moog doesn't put the dust boot on, so you have to go through that hassle yourself. It is a bitch!

The dust boot has a "Mount Inward" on the rubber, and I just didn't understand what was the reason. I search the internet, along with Moog technical information but no one ever says why. Being an engineer with OCD, I had to know why. Do you know?

The reason is they have a drip edge on the rubber that allows the excess grease from going onto your brakes. It drips inward, away from the brakes. I thought that was kind-of cool to know.

Anyways, I am posting Moogs instation procedure for the dust boots. After spending a couple hours doing it their way, I decided to figure something better. The thing I found is if you buy a 1 1/2 inch plastic PVC coupler, that works perfectly around the ring of the boot. Kind-of smouch it down most of the way, then on the last section that still is not setting flat, then use channel locks. It gets in there way easier.

Attached are a couple pictures.
Thanks for that trivia and the install tip. I don't do this kind of work myself but I definitely like to have some knowledge so I'm aware and don't get screwed over when I do need someone to work on it that I don't know!

Being an engineer with OCD, that explains your thorough work and need to know "why"!

Curious - are you doing the same work to both your trucks or just one at a time?

Curious - are you doing the same work to both your trucks or just one at a time?
I am doing both trucks at the same time.
What started all of this is I had a faulty wheel bearing in the black truck. So thinking that since both trucks are 20 years old and have over 140,000 miles, that I should go ahead and replace both.

That lead to, why not just replace all the front suspension parts, which lead to why not sandblast the calipers and rebuild those too.

What I hate is having to figure out which tools I need for the project. So I wrote down exactly which tools I used, then proceeded to do both trucks.

I am doing both trucks at the same time.
What started all of this is I had a faulty wheel bearing in the black truck. So thinking that since both trucks are 20 years old and have over 140,000 miles, that I should go ahead and replace both.

That lead to, why not just replace all the front suspension parts, which lead to why not sandblast the calipers and rebuild those too.

What I hate is having to figure out which tools I need for the project. So I wrote down exactly which tools I used, then proceeded to do both trucks.
Be prepared ,, you’re doing great !

Yea! Doing great and informative DIY threads.

Yes and we like pictures hahaha

We do!! And some of the final outcome over on TOTM for July so the people can see who they're voting for! Hahahaha
Full shots of each truck are needed lol
My guess is people don want to look at nuts and clean holes lol

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back