Buyer Beware

Bad Azp Performance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As some of you know, I swapped my QCs 48re for a "rebuilt" T56 in October 2023.
Fast forward 2 months, 2000 miles later, after a hard 400 mile run from California, I'm on my way to work (83 miles) when the clutch pedal starts vibrating and the trans starts rattling.

Get it home to find the damper ring has broken off, its 2 qts low on fluid, rear seal is still intact. Disassembly shows that 2 of 3 caged bearings are completely gone, 1 is melted into Reverse gear. The spacer holding the 5th/6th gear cluster in is welded to the main shaft.

I had my doubts about the quality of the rebuild as the case was filthy, even the bolts looked like they had never been removed. I was assured "all transmissions come back this way". Then there was the tag wired to the trans specifying 75-90 gear oil. Never in my srt-10 ownership have i used anything but atf4+ and royal purple synchromax but thats what the builder speced so thats what I used. It has been documented from the supplier that several transmissions had this tag installed when "rebuilt".

After a month of discussing everything with the "rebuilder" and the supplier where I was assured that "we won't **** on anybody" I have been suddenly ghosted for the last 7 weeks.

I bought this T56 in a combo deal with a lot of other stuff so I don't have an exact cost. But I have been told by the supplier that he sells a rebuilt trans for $3500 and a $2000 core charge (I had no core), so thats $5500.
Even though I don't believe I've done anything wrong, I was willing to accept a lesser amount ($2000) in the interest of maintaining a civil relationship. I no longer care about maintaining a civil relationship.

This is a warning to anyone in the market for a "rebuilt " T56. I can't in good conscience remain quiet or ever recommend Dan Palacino as a reliable supplier or Lindseys Ring & Pinion / J-Mac Fab & Suspension LLC as a rebuilder. Both from South Carolina.
Pictures are attached.
Buyer Beware.

Attachments

• received_326369296389103.jpeg
    received_326369296389103.jpeg
    466.9 KB · Views: 9
  • received_587390946916249.jpeg
    received_587390946916249.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 9
  • received_350196240937541.jpeg
    received_350196240937541.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 9
  • received_6377305719012447.jpeg
    received_6377305719012447.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 9
  • received_1218869998894015.jpeg
    received_1218869998894015.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231219_074534.jpg
    20231219_074534.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231219_074810.jpg
    20231219_074810.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231230_154830.jpg
    20231230_154830.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231231_094517.jpg
    20231231_094517.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231231_094007.jpg
    20231231_094007.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 9
More pics

Attachments

• 20231231_094525.jpg
    20231231_094525.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231231_094553.jpg
    20231231_094553.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231231_094603.jpg
    20231231_094603.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231231_094721.jpg
    20231231_094721.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231231_100724.jpg
    20231231_100724.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231231_125413.jpg
    20231231_125413.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231231_125623.jpg
    20231231_125623.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240101_112150.jpg
    20240101_112150.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240101_113114.jpg
    20240101_113114.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240101_113100.jpg
    20240101_113100.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 7
Fast forward 2 months, 2000 miles later, after a hard 400 mile run from California, I'm on my way to work (83 miles) when the clutch pedal starts vibrating and the trans starts rattling.

Get it home to find the damper ring has broken off, its 2 qts low on fluid, rear seal is still intact. Disassembly shows that 2 of 3 caged bearings are completely gone, 1 is melted into Reverse gear. The spacer holding the 5th/6th gear cluster in is welded to the main shaft.

I had my doubts about the quality of the rebuild as the case was filthy, even the bolts looked like they had never been removed. I was assured "all transmissions come back this way". Then there was the tag wired to the trans specifying 75-90 gear oil. Never in my srt-10 ownership have i used anything but atf4+ and royal purple synchromax but thats what the builder speced so thats what I used. It has been documented from the supplier that several transmissions had this tag installed when "rebuilt".

After a month of discussing everything with the "rebuilder" and the supplier where I was assured that "we won't **** on anybody" I have been suddenly ghosted for the last 7 weeks.

I bought this T56 in a combo deal with a lot of other stuff so I don't have an exact cost. But I have been told by the supplier that he sells a rebuilt trans for $3500 and a $2000 core charge (I had no core), so thats $5500.
Even though I don't believe I've done anything wrong, I was willing to accept a lesser amount ($2000) in the interest of maintaining a civil relationship. I no longer care about maintaining a civil relationship.

This is a warning to anyone in the market for a "rebuilt " T56. I can't in good conscience remain quiet or ever recommend Dan Palacino as a reliable supplier or Lindseys Ring & Pinion / J-Mac Fab & Suspension LLC as a rebuilder. Both from South Carolina.
Pictures are attached.
Buyer Beware.
That surprises me about Dan ,, he’s always been a straight up guy and long time member of the forum .. have you tried calling him personally?

Oh geez!!! That's definitely effed up in more ways than one!!

hoping Dan and others make something right with you!

Pictures are attached.
Buyer Beware.
Don't know who this Dan guy is, and I'm no tranny expert, but that does not look like it was ever rebuilt. Just my opinion. Did it come with paperwork showing what parts were replaced?

Is this the same transmission you disassembled because you were impatient over the christmas holiday and expected them to warranty something you tore apart yourself? If you knew the fluid was an issue why not call and verify that the wrong tag was on it before you filled it since “never in your ownership” had you used anything else. Ive ran gear oil in them they dont grenade. Sounds to me like you got a trans that failed over a very busy time of year(rebuilds can fail not to mention the part that failed isn’t a part of any standard rebuild so not the builders fault), you were impatient with the speed in which you were handled, you decided to dismantle the trans yourself rather than wait, now you're upset because the seller cant get the builder to warranty it since you took it apart yourself so you plan to poop on them both.

That bout the cliff notes of it?

Bash away if you want but include what Paul Harvey calls “the rest of the story” so that everyone can make proper judgment as to beware of the seller or the buyer.

Last edited:
@Bad Azp Performance
@Streetgliderx

Being ignorant on the subject I can't judge either side of the issue without knowing more. For us idjuts out here I'm going to ask ....

Are we to assume the rebuilt transmission is the same year and model that was in the truck from the factory?

I ask because if it is, then why would one not refer to the owners manual and/or factory tag for the specific manufacturers requirements for the transmission fluid?

if the transmission were a different year and model number than what came from the factory wouldn't one follow the manufacturers recommendation for that specific unit?

Did the transmissions come with a factory tag that specifies the recommended fluid?

Just curious! Not taking sides! Trying to educate myself is all.

thanks for any answers!

Last edited:
That’s is definitely some major metal on metal high friction damage ,, did the gear oil leak out ? You had to be running it with no or very little gear oil in the trans I’m thinking and losing that much lubricant would have been obvious and smoking off your exhaust …. I won’t take sides till I hear both sides of the story !
If you did take it apart as Streetgilderx states above … I will have to say that’s on you and would easily void any warranties from anyone !

@Bad Azp Performance

Okay after re- reading OP I'm wondering why you had to do anything with fluid? It should have had proper fluid level when you got it. Was the fluid level checked before you ran it?

you said it was running low on fluid?

When did you notice it was low?

Was this after you took it apart? If so what do you mean by you used what the builder specified? Used it before it disintegrated? Wouldn't need fluid after you tore it down.

Thanks for clarifying!

Either way it still sucks .. mods like that aren’t cheap .. but a factual reason for such a catastrophic meltdown like that is really needed to determine any type of fault !
What would it take to repair it ? Fault or no fault working out a deal to replace the needed parts ?

Either way it still sucks .. mods like that aren’t cheap .. but a factual reason for such a catastrophic meltdown like that is really needed to determine any type of fault !
What would it take to repair it ? Fault or no fault working out a deal to replace the needed parts ?
Yes exactly! Just the facts maa'm

Hoping a resolution of some kind can be made and relationships salvaged!

Is this the same transmission you disassembled because you were impatient over the christmas holiday and expected them to warranty something you tore apart yourself? If you knew the fluid was an issue why not call and verify that the wrong tag was on it before you filled it since “never in your ownership” had you used anything else. Ive ran gear oil in them they dont grenade. Sounds to me like you got a trans that failed over a very busy time of year(rebuilds can fail not to mention the part that failed isn’t a part of any standard rebuild so not the builders fault), you were impatient with the speed in which you were handled, you decided to dismantle the trans yourself rather than wait, now you're upset because the seller cant get the builder to warranty it since you took it apart yourself so you plan to poop on them both.

That bout the cliff notes of it?

Bash away if you want but include what Paul Harvey calls “the rest of the story” so that everyone can make proper judgment as to beware of the seller or the buyer.

Not even close. After a week of talking every day i get nothing for another week. Everyone is wondering whats going on inside so 2 weeks after the trans failed, I removed 8 bolts to take the rear of the case off. All of those parts fell out. If you've ever disassembled a t56 you'll know thats the most basic thing you can do, like taking a transmission pan off and nothing should fall out.
After sharing the pics we talked for another 8 days then i was instantly ghosted for 3 weeks. This vehicle was my daily and after being down for over month i purchased another transmission.

I didn't "know" the fluid was an issue. It had a new tag on it stating emphatically that 80/90 gear oil be used, specifically "no synthetic ". I dont question a builders tag on a new item. My transmission was one of several that were found with the wrong tag.

Need more "cliff notes" ?

@Bad Azp Performance
@Streetgliderx

Being ignorant on the subject I can't judge either side of the issue without knowing more. For us idjuts out here I'm going to ask ....

Are we to assume the rebuilt transmission is the same year and model that was in the truck from the factory?

I ask because if it is, then why would one not refer to the owners manual and/or factory tag for the specific manufacturers requirements for the transmission fluid?

if the transmission were a different year and model number than what came from the factory wouldn't one follow the manufacturers recommendation for that specific unit?

Did the transmissions come with a factory tag that specifies the recommended fluid?

Just curious! Not taking sides! Trying to educate myself is all.

thanks for any answers!

This transmission had a new tag from the rebuilder specifying this fluid

@Bad Azp Performance

Okay after re- reading OP I'm wondering why you had to do anything with fluid? It should have had proper fluid level when you got it. Was the fluid level checked before you ran it?

you said it was running low on fluid?

When did you notice it was low?

Was this after you took it apart? If so what do you mean by you used what the builder specified? Used it before it disintegrated? Wouldn't need fluid after you tore it down.

Thanks for clarifying!

I dont believe any trans is ever shipped with fluid in it. Tag from rebuilder specified type of fluid.

Yes we filled it.

I never "tore down" the transmission. I removed 8 bolts which hold the rear case on so we could see what the damage was. Similar to removing an automatic transmission pan.

We found out it was low after it left me stranded on the highway

I dont believe any trans is ever shipped with fluid in it. Tag from rebuilder specified type of fluid.

Yes we filled it.

I never "tore down" the transmission. I removed 8 bolts which hold the rear case on so we could see what the damage was. Similar to removing an automatic transmission pan.

We found out it was low after it left me stranded on the highway
Oh! that Makes sense it wouldn't be shipped with fluid!

it's an unfortunate situation for sure! Hoping that it gets worked out. That's a lot to spend and also a lot to fix and that not including all the down time and hassle!

good luck and I do hope they at least talk to you about it

Main shaft has to be cut in half to remove it from the case.
After being ghosted for 3 weeks i sent it to Rockland Standard Gear as a core for a t56 magnum.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back