04 Stalls when hot. Requires PCM Reset

gljoines

Reaction score
Totally stock 04 with 15k miles. Truck starts fine following battery reconnect after sitting for long periods. Runs fine. When systems are warmed, perhaps 3 minutes, the truck dies. Starter turns over normally but truck will not fire. Reset of PCM sometimes allows restart but not always.... until the truck is cool. When cool again, and following a PCM reset, the truck fires as normal. No codes thrown. What the hell am I dealing with?

Totally stock 04 with 15k miles. Truck starts fine following battery reconnect after sitting for long periods. Runs fine. When systems are warmed, perhaps 3 minutes, the truck dies. Starter turns over normally but truck will not fire. Reset of PCM sometimes allows restart but not always.... until the truck is cool. When cool again, and following a PCM reset, the truck fires as normal. No codes thrown. What the hell am I dealing with?
Possible the sitting for long periods could have created gremlins.. 15k miles and 20 year old truck … Corrosion, squirrels and rats can’t all do damage. Check around especially for brittle wires , corrosion at connections .

@rottenronnie .. chime in .. Ronnie has lots of knowledge about these trucks and can give you more insight to the possible problems .

Have you check for codes yet ?
Turn the key on off , on off on and leave it on the 3rd time . look at the trip odometer and see what codes may be triggered till it says Done !
Also if a code is triggered look up the what the reason is .. I believe there is a sticky thread on the codes on here . If not type the code into your search and it could give you something to go with .. if not the dealer , they charge to much but have better testing equipment to test systems ..

My bet is corrosion from sitting ..

Let us know what you find out .
I iF not we’re just going to say it’s the muffler bearing being shorted across the hubcap gasket lol

Let us know what you find out .
I iF not we’re just going to say it’s the muffler bearing being shorted across the hubcap gasket lol
Or it could be low on blinker fluid :D

There is fitting on the passenger side fuel-rail to measure pressure.
Hook up a gauge when cold, fire it up and when it starts to die, see if the pressure is still over 50 psi.
If it is way low, your truck has a fuel delivery issue.

Last edited:
There you are! Glad you're back

There you are! Glad you're back
Maybe it’s Ronnie’s kidnappers making it sound like he posted .. r the Whale sneezed and out came Ronnie lol ..
Glad to see you post Ronnie !

Thanks for the help guys. I believe I've fixed my problem. Finally got the truck to throw a code indicating a crank position sensor. Put one in it and it seems to be running like new again. I'll keep it close to the house over the next couple days but I think the stalling problem is resolved.
Thanks so much for the help!FB_IMG_1724361766645.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. I believe I've fixed my problem. Finally got the truck to throw a code indicating a crank position sensor. Put one in it and it seems to be running like new again. I'll keep it close to the house over the next couple days but I think the stalling problem is resolved.
Thanks so much for the help!View attachment 67261
Excellent !

An extra word .. I’ve heard that the cam sensor should be replaced with the crank sensor as they work together … Check into that .. My Dakota just had the Crank sensor replace on a no start condition but the Mechanic said he couldn’t find the cam sensor to replace it .. it runs fine without the cam sensor replaced ..

The truck looks great ,, How about a photo shoot of it for the TOTM ? I nominate it !

Thanks so much for the help!View attachment 67261
Great to hear!

Nice trim :cool:

Spoke too soon. Crank sensor hasn't fixed the problem. Ran multiple fuel pressure tests with unusual results. Attached the gauge and had zero pressure. Reset the PCM, started the truck and had between 56 and 62 psi. Bouncing rapidly but steady between 56 and 62. Pressure begins to drop and about 20psi stops running. Key off and Pressure builds. Slowly. Maybe 4 minutes in I'm at 55psi, start the truck, it runs about 30 seconds, Pressure drops, truck dies. This time no Pressure being built. Key off or Key on. No pressure. Reset PCM, have 55psi and truck starts, runs a few minutes, dies again. Did throw an 0320 code at one point. Thinking it's the PCM but could be fuel pump or regulator. Thoughts appreciated!!

Spoke too soon. Crank sensor hasn't fixed the problem. Ran multiple fuel pressure tests with unusual results. Attached the gauge and had zero pressure. Reset the PCM, started the truck and had between 56 and 62 psi. Bouncing rapidly but steady between 56 and 62. Pressure begins to drop and about 20psi stops running. Key off and Pressure builds. Slowly. Maybe 4 minutes in I'm at 55psi, start the truck, it runs about 30 seconds, Pressure drops, truck dies. This time no Pressure being built. Key off or Key on. No pressure. Reset PCM, have 55psi and truck starts, runs a few minutes, dies again. Did throw an 0320 code at one point. Thinking it's the PCM but could be fuel pump or regulator. Thoughts appreciated!!
You may want to check and replace the camshaft sensor as I mention earlier on the 0320 code ..
As for the fuel pressure Ronnie has more insight on that and hopefully will chime in !
The options you mentioned on the fuel problem appears your looking in the right area . If I’m not mistaken the pump / regulator are integrated inside the gas tank .

@rottenronnie

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back