04 Stalls when hot. Requires PCM Reset

Hi:
Your truck is tripping a code for a reason.
Like many things when problem solving, some will be trial and error.
Check the underside of the fuse box for corrosion as there is a fuse for the fuel pump relay that lives there. I would drop the tank and replace the fuel pump assembly/relay.
It is the 3 minute countdown that has me thinking it's fuel delivery.
Fuel management is hard-coded into the ECU and it would be extremely unlikely the cause.
But, I've been surprised before!

Just curious, how are you resetting the ECU?

Last edited:
My bet is it’s your fuel pump. So many people run the gas tank less than a 1/4 tank all the time (like my wife). The fuel keeps the pump cool. You’ll see so many vehicles in warmer area broken down along the road because of the fuel pump overheating. That’s my 2 cents for what it’s worth.

That happened on an old Ford we have - in taking the assembly out the sock had disintegrated inside the tank

That happened on an old Ford we have - in taking the assembly out the sock had disintegrated inside the tank
Well that answers the question again about Found On Road Dead cars lol

Thanks for the help guys. I believe I've fixed my problem. Finally got the truck to throw a code indicating a crank position sensor. Put one in it and it seems to be running like new again. I'll keep it close to the house over the next couple days but I think the stalling problem is resolved.
Thanks so much for the help!View attachment 67261

Great looking truck and great trouble shooting as well. Rotten Ronnie is pretty well versed with our 10's do not hesitate to use use his vast knowledge.

Great looking truck and great trouble shooting as well. Rotten Ronnie is pretty well versed with our 10's do not hesitate to use use his vast knowledge.
That's for sure!! A wealth of knowledge. We are blessed.

Back