Brake fluid smells like antifreeze

sanchezest

Reaction score
Alright so my buddy wanted some help changing out the brake pads for his 2005 SRT10. He hasn't had the truck that long. We were having a little problem with one of the pistons going all the way back so I suggested we bleed it to release some of the pressure. To our surprise antifreeze came out of the caliper. And yes it smelled like antifreeze looked like antifreeze, yellow green fluid. Is this normal??? I have never seen this before. It got late so we only changed one side

did it taste like antifreeze?

i've NEVER seen this before...

oem anitfreeze should be the red stuff, FYI...and the brake and antifreeze reservoirs are way too far apart to screw that up... i would think...

Indeed, flush the system! I flush mine every 2 years anyways. Brake fluid absorbs moisture. My understanding is that the fluid is designed to deal with a certain amount of moisture, after a while it can't handle any more and loses its ability to protect the system from corrosion.

What's the best way to change out all the old fluid? Just open all the bleeders and let it drip while refilling the reservoir?

What's the best way to change out all the old fluid? Just open all the bleeders and let it drip while refilling the reservoir?

Note: I have SpeedBleeders installed.

I do as follows:
Suck all the old fluid out of the reservoir that I can get to, leaving just enough to keep the port in the master cylinder covered with fluid. I use a syringe with a piece of plastic tubing on the end to get waaaay down in there.

I then open the caliper bleed screw furthest from the master cylinder, and pump the pedal until I have clear fluid coming out. You'll need to open/close the screw as you pump if you don't have SpeedBleeders.

I repeat the process for the next closest bleed screw until I've gotten clear fluid out of all of them, including inboard and outboard sides of the front calipers.

Note: I have SpeedBleeders installed.

I do as follows:
Suck all the old fluid out of the reservoir that I can get to, leaving just enough to keep the port in the master cylinder covered with fluid. I use a syringe with a piece of plastic tubing on the end to get waaaay down in there.

I then open the caliper bleed screw furthest from the master cylinder, and pump the pedal until I have clear fluid coming out. You'll need to open/close the screw as you pump if you don't have SpeedBleeders.

I repeat the process for the next closest bleed screw until I've gotten clear fluid out of all of them, including inboard and outboard sides of the front calipers.

I've never heard of speedbleeders,I'm guessing they are so you can bleed system by yourself?? Pics?

yeah how bout for more info on speedbleeders?!?!?! very curious. I have a bleeding pump that hooks to my air compressor that works very well but still curious about these

2511433328_e0d5a6bd54.jpg

The brake fluid smells like antifreeze

We actually use the speed bleeders on our clutch system, they work awesome, one person bleeding, I will have the ones for the calipers up on the site pretty soon, they are def the deal

I had them on my Vette. They are the way to go. Makes it a one man job.

We actually use the speed bleeders on our clutch system, they work awesome, one person bleeding, I will have the ones for the calipers up on the site pretty soon, they are def the deal

well hell:toilet: already got mine & in stainless:rock::D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back