How tight are your nuts?

2005ViperRam

Reaction score
I am doing the suspension on my 2005 QC SRT-10.
After getting all the items back from the sandblaster and powdercoater it is now getting put back together.
Here is my next question:
My original Lower Control Arms use ball joints are kept in by a retention flange (basically metal bent over). The new Moog K7411, https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=504339&cc=1431796&pt=10070&jsn=13) uses a snap ring. This where I’m getting confused.
Moog calls LD (Light Duty) the ones with a flange. It calls HD (Heavy Duty) the ones with the snap ring: https://www.rockauto.com/info/11/DYK10_104_ENG-R.pdf

The 2005 SRT-10 service manual torque specs are:
LD - 38lbs + 90 degrees
HD - 100lbs
(See attached picture)

So what am I torquing them to since I removed the retention flange ball joint, and replaced them with a snap ring ball joint?

Attachments

• IMG_3501.jpeg
    IMG_3501.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I’ve never done mine on the truck but do have new ones if needed for the future .. Mine are the snap ring Mopar replacements and pressed in .
I was under the impression that all the 10’s used the snap ring . That being said I would use the torque spec for the type you are using .. I would also go with the HD joints to begin with ..
Maybe someone that has done the joints will chime in and let you know what they did and decided @Kiwi SRT10 msy have info since he just rebuilt his suspension ..

Another hint .. if the flange type torque is 38 ft pounds plus a half turn ,, that would raise the torque spec ,, no idea how much ..

From my perspective balls and nuts seem to be a confusing set of issues!! Hahahaha!!

I don't have a hoist so I had a mate with a real workshop who works on classic cars fit the whole lot.
As far as torque.....Just do it up till ya strip it and back it off half a turn hahaha
Ouch lol

I’m still deciding which way to go. I stopped to paint the aluminum knuckle with aluminum engine paint (500 degrees) just to make it look good (yes, I’ll be the only one that will see it, but for $15 per can, it will be worth it).

One other note:
The bolts used to hold the caliper to knuckle for a 2005 SRT-10 is DR-1 (sales code BR5). My bolt threads were damaged.

The factory parts manual on page 62 of 549 for the SRT-10, DR-1 (BR5), calls to use Mopar part number 06507830AA. You put that number into RockAuto and it comes up with Raybestos H17039 (see picture). I ordered this item and it is way too big.

A normal 2005 brake caliper-to-knuckle bolt 06507830AA is a M16 x 2.0 x 51mm. The Raybestos H17039 is a 3/4in x 10 x 2in. The Raybestos bolt won’t even go into the knuckle.

Since RockAuto doesn’t have a customer service, all you can do is request a refund, which you must pay to ship back the part, even though their catalog item was wrong. Strange that there is nowhere on the website to notify them that their info is wrong so others don’t order the wrong part too.

Attachments

• IMG_3509.jpeg
    IMG_3509.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3505.jpeg
    IMG_3505.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3504.jpeg
    IMG_3504.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 3
I’m still deciding which way to go. I stopped to paint the aluminum knuckle with aluminum engine paint (500 degrees) just to make it look good (yes, I’ll be the only one that will see it, but for $15 per can, it will be worth it).
That will look nice and clean

One other note:
The bolts used to hold the caliper to knuckle for a 2005 SRT-10 is DR-1 (sales code BR5). My bolt threads were damaged.

The factory parts manual on page 62 of 549 for the SRT-10, DR-1 (BR5), calls to use Mopar part number 06507830AA. You put that number into RockAuto and it comes up with Raybestos H17039 (see picture). I ordered this item and it is way too big.

A normal 2005 brake caliper-to-knuckle bolt 06507830AA is a M16 x 2.0 x 51mm. The Raybestos H17039 is a 3/4in x 10 x 2in. The Raybestos bolt won’t even go into the knuckle.

Since RockAuto doesn’t have a customer service, all you can do is request a refund, which you must pay to ship back the part, even though their catalog item was wrong. Strange that there is nowhere on the website to notify them that their info is wrong so others don’t order the wrong part too.
At least you know that little strip of paint may cause cancer though!! Lol

I would dispute it with my credit card since the item is clearly not the right one. They don't leave much choice with no way to contact them!

One other note:

You could try this number to contact them maybe it's current info

Yep color matched to the truck and if you like go with it

At least you know that little strip of paint may cause cancer though!! Lol

I would dispute it with my credit card since the item is clearly not the right one. They don't leave much choice with no way to contact them!
Only in Cali where everything has a cancer warning

One other note:

Is there damage to the knock or threads ?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back