Replacement Header Gaskets - Is OEM OK?

Carlwalski

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi lads,

I'm in the middle of customizing my engine bay and my Billy Boat headers are away being HPC coated. I need to replace my exhaust gaskets and am not too sure which ones I should and can use. B&B don't list ANY gaskets on their site at all (I have emailed, no reply yet being a Sunday). VSP stock OEM gaskets and show a good image, can I use OEM gaskets with my Billy Boat headers or is it too hot/too much flow or? I know they'll have the excess "strip" between ports showing but I will trim those away after installing them. Unless someone knows where I can get B&B replacements.

https://www.viperspecialtyperforman...d=143&osCsid=7d31c71d3927502c41bcfb59955876fa

Cheers,
Carl

BillyBoatHeaders.jpg

BillyBoatGaskets.jpg

OEMGasket.jpg

Cool, is there any risk of the OEM gaskets "melting" or burning up due to different openings? I'm not sure WTF I'm on about but you know what I mean? :laugh: I'll see what Billy Boat come back with but in the mean time, what are the OEM gaskets worth from you Tony and if you can at the same time, the rear bushings kit you were talking about.

Cheers!

From all the header gasket talk ,it seems like the guys that have tried other than stocl seem to go back with the stockers,they seem to be the best Carl :)

Thanks lads, OEMs it is! Tony, please price 'em up for me brother including air mail (USPS Priority) shipping to my address) PM me if you require it, not sure if you have it on record! :)

Carlwalski said:
Thanks lads, OEMs it is! Tony, please price 'em up for me brother including air mail (USPS Priority) shipping to my address) PM me if you require it, not sure if you have it on record! :)
Thanks but these are no longer needed Tony. I had some small bits on order from Sean @ Roe and he chucked in some gaskets for me, thanks anyway. :)

Thanks everyone, OEM's FTW!! :rock: Ps: B&B got back and said they'd send me some gaskets free of charge, just had to give them my address. I told them not to worry.

Got my gaskets and knew this problem would arise but wanted to see what they were like in my hand. I'm finishing off the Batram and it's blacked out image. My engine block is going to be Satin black, valve covers and intake gloss black, headers, HPC semi-gloss black. This leaves me with a slight problem. I love the thin steel/aluminum? gaskets better than the cheap "paper" crap Billy Boat sell. BUT, the shape is for the OEM manifolds (being OEM). This means there will be the thin 1/4" width, 3" strip from one port to the other that remains "steel color" in appearance, with my truck, this will stand out like dogs bullocks.

Also, the shape of the OEM gasket means the bottom left and top right will be exposed. I want to paint the gasket prior to installing them with proper high temp ceramic header spray paint (satin black). Will this be OK?? Will the gaskets that get covered by the headers smoke after install or burn up? Not that that matters I guess, they won't be visible once installed. Being HPC coated this will mean the surrounding areas will not get hit AS hard. HPC can reduce under hood temps up to 900F (info from their website). I know how to prep and paint (it won't be bombed), thin and even, not thick and runny. My only other option is to install the headers and try to snip them after wards, or do it first and have the usual sombitch time installing the individual gaskets - NOT FUN.

Thanks!!!

STOCK
OEMGasketsStock.jpg

AFTER PAINT
OEMGasketsPainted.jpg

when they get hot that paint will come off ,,maybe if you sandblast them real light to give paint something to cling to:dontknow:

Thanks Jack & Ironhead. What I was wondering is, if I do sand them lightly or get them sandblasted, will that void the "seal" the gaskets give or will I be OK? I personally think it will be fine, especially after the paint has been applied and filled the light sand marks, it's more so the edges that the gaskets are sealing and when the headers are torqued in place the gaskets get crunched down firmly so I myself can't see the gaskets "leaking" due to sandblasting and paint. I just wanted clarification from other owners. :D

those are MLS, Multi Layer Steel, gaskets Carl.

stainless steel that is, tough to get any kind of paint to stick. muchless a hi-temp situation

a fart in the wind, could ya get them coated by HPC to match the headers???

might be more of a pain in the buttocks to install, but should be no prob to trim the gaskets to match the header flange, keepin the layers in the same place & all

Last edited:
ZCx said:
a fart in the wind, could ya get them coated by HPC to match the headers???
Well blow me down. I never thought about that. :eek: Thanks! I will get in touch with HPC coating.
Here are my HPC coated Billy Boat headers, can't wait to install all my new black goodies. :p

HPCHeaders1.jpg

HPCHeaders2.jpg

HPCHeaders3.jpg

sweet:rock: :rock: :rock:

damn carl you are one big pain in the arse:D

take some 320, go over only that area of 1/4 inch tht will show, scuff it up nicely. then follow with vht high temp ceramic paint. let it cure well, then add another coat. you should be good to go;)
if you do jsut the outter edge and let it blend over , it shouldnt want peel off later

Thanks Stinker (I miss that name!) but I will go with HPC coating. The position those gaskets are in are where the most heat is on the entire vehicle so I want the most extreme heat resistant formula, HPC coating is just that. Can withstand temperatures up to 2,370F. :) As for being a PITA, you know it! :D :D :D Now go call them there coil pack folks y'all. :p

Carlwalski said:
Thanks Stinker (I miss that name!) but I will go with HPC coating. The position those gaskets are in are where the most heat is on the entire vehicle so I want the most extreme heat resistant formula, HPC coating is just that. Can withstand temperatures up to 2,370F. :) As for being a PITA, you know it! :D :D :D Now go call them there coil pack folks y'all. :p
:D yeah now if hpc willl coat them for ya, def go that route, but be sure to ask them if there be any probs with them sealing;)

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back