Spark plug heat shields - Remove them, or, leave them in?

2005ViperRam

Reaction score
I am now starting to put in my Champion 438 spark plugs.
The very 1st plug I took out the heat shield (item 8 on the attached) came out when pulling off the spark plug wire.
I read a bunch of different posts of people saying to remove them, and, others saying to leave them in. Yet no one is saying what the difference is, or the benefits or non-desired effect of doing so.
If I do keep them in, how do you put this one back in? Is it pounded in?
So what is your opinion?

Attachments

• IMG_3938.png
    IMG_3938.png
    390.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3944.jpeg
    IMG_3944.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3943.jpeg
    IMG_3943.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3941.jpeg
    IMG_3941.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 4
Mine never pulled out so never put any thought into it .. personally I would keep them in especially with the heat from the exhaust manifolds and having to pull the manifold to replace the plug wires ..

Pound it in and see if it stays?

Or maybe it squeezes together and came loose

Last edited:
It makes sense to keep them in, since that’s the way the truck left the factory.
I just wonder why these people (many of them) are removing them. I wanted to run it by you guys 1st. On some of the other forums, if you say something not exactly perfect they are less forgiving.

It makes sense to keep them in, since that’s the way the truck left the factory.
I just wonder why these people (many of them) are removing them. I wanted to run it by you guys 1st. On some of the other forums, if you say something not exactly perfect they are less forgiving.
Hahahaha!! Boo on The haters - you gotta remember they're all perfect! Uhhh huhhh right.

The major sin here are the relentless post hos! They Hi jack the threads :p:p:eek:

Hahahaha!! Boo on The haters - you gotta remember they're all perfect! Uhhh huhhh right.

The major sin here are the relentless post hos! They Hi jack the threads :p:p:eek:
No we don’t lol ..

The ultimate choice is what you decide .. I agree with that lady that can’t get her heartbeat fixed lol .

Attachments

• 807B4A1D-72B9-4B4F-BF43-4F3B5CD19A55.gif
    807B4A1D-72B9-4B4F-BF43-4F3B5CD19A55.gif
    76.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Dang Hos!!! I told you they are relentless!!

Shields are there to protect the boots from being cooked. I’ve cooked a few boots on a 440. It will drive you insane trying to find out why your motor is running like crap.

Back