Spark plug heat shields - Remove them, or, leave them in?

Shields are there to protect the boots from being cooked. I’ve cooked a few boots on a 440. It will drive you insane trying to find out why your motor is running like crap.
To find an arcing plugs wire … open the hood at night and look for arcing .. there is or use to be a cheap tool that looked like a pen that could check the wires for leakage or a bad wire . With these trucks trying to check a wire with a OHM meter is out of the question without removal f the manifold .. I will never understand how some idiot could have designed the system on the 10’s ..

If it weren’t for you post hos this site would be dead and very boring. I say long live the post hos king and queen! Thank you guys.
Long live the HOS!!! Yes indeed!!

I will never understand how some idiot could have designed the system on the 10’s ..
What I don’t understand is how the heck do you replace spark plug #7 and #9? Geez, I can see how people keep the original plug in there.
I am waiting for a magnetic spark plug socket to hopefully get it out. I know my arms are going to get scratched up and cut as if I’m wrestling a bear. I really dread it.

What I don’t understand is how the heck do you replace spark plug #7 and #9? Geez, I can see how people keep the original plug in there.
I am waiting for a magnetic spark plug socket to hopefully get it out. I know my arms are going to get scratched up and cut as if I’m wrestling a bear. I really dread it.
@2005ViperRam

Last edited:
#9 is the only one that ticks me off .. It breaks every time I remove it and have to be very careful not to break the new one when installing it .. several others are still a slight pain …
Extensions, swivel sockets don’t help on #9 .. just another Idiot that decided it would be a good idea to hide the deep in the anals of everything else at the wrong angle ..

A little trick is to use a piece of rubber hose , I think 3/8 inch fuel line long enough around 4 inches or so and put it on the plug then screw the plug in at least get it started .. then carefully get the socket and extension to tighten it ..

Use it on all plugs ,, helps big time starting the plugs .. learned that 100 million years ago when I was mechanic .

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back