Watched this....

HemiLonestar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....go down river. USS NEW JERSEY was towed down to Paulsboro on Thursday in preparation to go to drydock at the Philly navy yard.

20240321_132711.jpg 20240321_132718.jpg 20240321_133342.jpg 20240321_135959.jpg 20240321_155316.jpg

That is a gorgeous ship. Something about her just says "don't mess with me"!
:cool:

That is a gorgeous ship. Something about her just says "don't mess with me"!
:cool:
It has some big guns ma dear ! Maybe it’s dry docking to pump some more Iron hahaha !

She's a museum! Not sure why the dry docking? Repairs or maintenance?

So that future generations can learn and experience what ship board life was like. I was in the Navy 81 - 85 and my chopper squadron was attached to CV67 the JFK. We were due to pull into port in Egypt in a few days, but the terrorists blew up the Marine barracks in Lebanon 1983. While they were bringing the wounded and the dead onto the carrier over the next several days, the New Jersey came along side of us. It was almost as long as the carrier (1052 ft long), and was very impressive. When it was astern from us, it looked like a pregnant cow. During the next month or so, I swear at night I heard the NJ firing her guns. Nobody believed me, as everything was hush hush. We lost an A6 during a mission, the pilot died, the co pilot was captured (Lt. Goodman). They say that the pilot (Lt. Lang) died from ejection, that's not true. They brought his body back on the boat in a wood box about a week later. Took EOD around 45 minutes to ensure the box wasn't loaded with TNT. If it had been, I wouldn't be telling this story. When they popped the lid off and unwrapped the body that was wound in a white sheet, we could see that he was shot to death, not from ejection. Anyway, I digress. When I was working at Boeing in Charleston in 2009, I met a guy who served on the NJ during that time. I asked him about them firing the guns, and he said absolutely they did. Something I'll never forget, was the sound of those guns.

Cool , Does that thing have a Hemispheric in it hahahaha ! Big boat for shore ooops duh , ai mean ship !
What’s the plan for that thing ?
Navy standard for inactive ships is to drydock them every 20 years to ensure hull integrity. NJ is a little past that (32 if memory serves) so this is to clean and renew the underbody coat (bottom paint) and address any metal work below the waterline (if needed). Active ships get drydocked about once every 4 years, sometimes more for emergent repairs (if needed). I was on a ship that was drydocked 3 times in 4 years lol.

It has some big guns ma dear ! Maybe it’s dry docking to pump some more Iron hahaha !
16" main battery, 5" secondary battery, Harpoon anti-ship & Tomahawk cruise missile launchers and Phalanx CIWS.

So that future generations can learn and experience what ship board life was like. I was in the Navy 81 - 85 and my chopper squadron was attached to CV67 the JFK. We were due to pull into port in Egypt in a few days, but the terrorists blew up the Marine barracks in Lebanon 1983. While they were bringing the wounded and the dead onto the carrier over the next several days, the New Jersey came along side of us. It was almost as long as the carrier (1052 ft long), and was very impressive. When it was astern from us, it looked like a pregnant cow. During the next month or so, I swear at night I heard the NJ firing her guns. Nobody believed me, as everything was hush hush. We lost an A6 during a mission, the pilot died, the co pilot was captured (Lt. Goodman). They say that the pilot (Lt. Lang) died from ejection, that's not true. They brought his body back on the boat in a wood box about a week later. Took EOD around 45 minutes to ensure the box wasn't loaded with TNT. If it had been, I wouldn't be telling this story. When they popped the lid off and unwrapped the body that was wound in a white sheet, we could see that he was shot to death, not from ejection. Anyway, I digress. When I was working at Boeing in Charleston in 2009, I met a guy who served on the NJ during that time. I asked him about them firing the guns, and he said absolutely they did. Something I'll never forget, was the sound of those guns.
IOWA's are just shy of 900', so close. JFK was decommed and she's actually sitting in Philly (a new FORD class JFK is being built). NJ went right past her.

20220928_170324.jpg 20240321_134440.jpg 20240321_140205.jpg 20240321_140119.jpg 20240321_140043.jpg

I'm glad you are still here to share that with us! Thank you! And moreso, TNANK YOU for your service, Sir!!

Navy standard for inactive ships is to drydock them every 20 years to ensure hull integrity. NJ is a little past that (32 if memory serves) so this is to clean and renew the underbody coat (bottom paint) and address any metal work below the waterline (if needed). Active ships get drydocked about once every 4 years, sometimes more for emergent repairs (if needed). I was on a ship that was drydocked 3 times in 4 years lol.

16" main battery, 5" secondary battery, Harpoon anti-ship & Tomahawk cruise missile launchers and Phalanx CIWS.

IOWA's are just shy of 900', so close. JFK was decommed and she's actually sitting in Philly (a new FORD class JFK is being built). NJ went right past her.

View attachment 65889 View attachment 65890 View attachment 65893 View attachment 65892 View attachment 65891
I figured maintenance. Thank you for more information. Incredible ships! So glad you shared :cool: and THANK YOU for your service!!

View attachment 65889 View attachment 65890 View attachment 65893 View attachment 65892 View attachment 65891
Thank you Hemi, for the pics of my old boat. She looks sad just sitting there going to waste :(

Thank you Hemi, for the pics of my old boat. She looks sad just sitting there going to waste :(
She was the last oil burner, it was inevitable. There will likely be parts of her incorporated into the new one, if tradition s followed. The last ENTERPRISE (CVN-65) had portholes from her predecessor (CV-6). Also you can almost guarantee anything the Kennedy family donated to display on the ship will migrate to the new one. They're nearly done:

CVN-79-USS-John-F-Kennedy-026.jpg

That's just incredible! They are massive! And beautiful

She was the last oil burner, it was inevitable. There will likely be parts of her incorporated into the new one, if tradition s followed. The last ENTERPRISE (CVN-65) had portholes from her predecessor (CV-6). Also you can almost guarantee anything the Kennedy family donated to display on the ship will migrate to the new one. They're nearly done:

CVN-79-USS-John-F-Kennedy-026.jpg
Captain Kirk has to be sad ..

What the heck keeps that top heavy thing from falling ver hahaha

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back